perjantai 18. marraskuuta 2016

Test drive: Jaguar F-Type R coupé

Alright so, the Auto2016 event started off with a bang for my part at least. Instead of starting the weekend off cautiously I decided to dive straight to shark infested waters by driving the most expensive and most powerful car available the Jaguar F-Type R.

Jaguar F-Type R in a special Jaguar Experience livery
 I entered the large area where the test drive cars are kept with anxiety and general uneasiness. I was among one of the first to drive this thing. It is worth over 200 000 euros, what if i bin it? What if some orangutan in a Renault drives into me? Then there wouldn't be any F-Type for the rest to drive around in. I entered the car as gracefully as I could and started the engine in what turned to be a very echoey room. During the test drive I was accompanied by a nice woman wearing a discrete Jaguar jumper, because no one is allowed to drive off alone in any of the test drive cars. The lady showed me where to open the flaps on the exhaust, I gave the engine a 'gentle' warmup just to make sure the Jag got everybody's attention and then drove off.

The four tail pipes emit a sound only made by a furious deity.
The general numbness, though, went away quickly when I entered the outside world. The F-Type R in normal city traffic is actually not scary at all. It's extremely easy to maneuver and the visibility, all though not great, is sufficient enough for you to sense the corners of the car. The test drive route for the event is around 20 minutes and exciting at all. Mostly in the city a bit of motorway acceleration and that's it. But the F-Type made the route very exciting indeed.

The suspension is not set up for comfort
When applying the throttle for some big speed it punches through the air and waves and buildings and anything else really, with an absolutely brutal V8 soundtrack. The general numbness that existed in my legs before the test drive returned. The acceleration is something I've never experienced before. I'd love to compare the acceleration and the sensation of speed to something else but truth be told, this is by far the fastest most powerful car I've ever driven. Only words that come to mind are holy sh*t I need to drive this on an autobahn and try again.

I apologize for the bad picture, my hands were shaking
The car is an absolute beast when it wants to be and in dynamic mode it is constantly rattling the cage door wanting to be freed. It feels very normal when you're not feeling playful but no one is ever going to drive this car normally. It's a complete animal with a massive character wrapped in a handsome and muscular suit, that can burble the alphabet if it wanted to on the overrun.
I honestly cannot be objective with reviewing this car, but then again I'm not a real journalist.



Specs: The Jaguar F-Type coupé has a supercharged 550 horsepower V8. Power delivered through a ZF eight speed gearbox to the rear wheels or all four wheels (test car had AWD).

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti